[Samba] Samba in a production database environment

John Schmerold schmerold at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 01:27:04 GMT 2007

Is anyone using SAMBA 3 with DBISAM databases?

I've tried what I believe to be every combination of security and file
lock settings without success. The program ( ACS - Automated Church
Software ) reports numerous errors, of course the only officially
supported network is Windows Server.

Things worked ok with Samba 2, however SAMBA seems to have broken things.

DBISAM is a product of http://elevatesoft.com

At this point, relevant parts of our smb.conf are as follows:
[global]
        workgroup = STLUCASUCC
        server string = KatyCare
        interfaces = lo, eth0
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        security = DOMAIN
        log level = 10
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 500
        time server = Yes
        deadtime = 60
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=65536 SO_RCVBUF=65536
IPTOS_LOWDELAY
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s
/bin/false -M %u
        logon script = startup.bat
        logon path = C:Documents and Settings%U.HOME
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 99
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        lock spin count = 100
        lock spin time = 45
        case sensitive = No
        oplocks = No
        level2 oplocks = No
        dos filemode = Yes

[sys]
        path = /var/flexshare/shares/sys
        valid users = @administrator, @user, @users
        force user = root
        force group = users
        read only = No
        create mask = 0666
        guest ok = Yes
        veto oplock files = /*.xls/*.db/*.DB/

Client workstations are XP Pro workstations that authenticate against
the domain.