[Samba] Move Vs Copy

Toby Bluhm tkbsmb at midwestinstruments.com
Thu Feb 1 16:30:22 GMT 2007

Apparently, when you use MOVE or drag-n-drop in Explorer and the source
dir and dest dir on the samba server are in the same filesystem, smb
will essentially do a Unix mv command. Thus the file will retain the
original permissions and ownership. As long as the user could write to
the dir, it would ignore setguid, share modes, ACLs, etc.

We had a special directory setup to pass docs on to another group and
occasionally users would forget to COPY and not MOVE the files there. I
used a dnotify script on the samba server to monitor that dir and change
perms when new stuff showed up. The other group could then delete the
files.

M Azer wrote:
> [shares]
>        comment = Deptartments Share
>        path = /shares/
>        public = no
>        browseable = yes
>        writable = yes
>        directory mask = 0770
>        create mask = 0770
>
> under [share] i have the following 4 folders:
>
> [root at itbox shares]# ls -l
> drwxrws--- 2 root devel              4096 Jan 31 17:41 devel
> drwxrws--- 3 root finance           4096 Jan 31 16:49 fin
> drwxrws--- 4 root it                    4096 Jan 31 17:22 it
> drwxrws--- 4 root Domain Users 4096 Jan 31 17:41 pub
>
> as you can see each folder is owned by its group and chmod g+s is set
> on all
> the folders to keep the group ownership to newly created folders/files
>
> Thanks for the reply
>
> On 2/1/07, Felipe Augusto van de Wiel <felipe at paranacidade.org.br> wrote:

>> --

-Toby