[Samba] Domain logons and client IP broadcasts

Matt Skerritt matt.skerritt at agrav.net
Thu Feb 1 06:09:05 GMT 2007

I had a very similar problem (without the worm) not too long ago.

My current setup has the following in the dhcp server:

option netbios-node-type 2;
option netbios-name-servers a.b.c.d;

(where a.b.c.d  is the actually IP address of my PDC).

This tells the windows clients to use peer-peer mode (only uses WINS,
doesn't use broadcast)  and tells them where the WINS server is. This
is working quite well, and previously unknown (and uncached)  users
have no problems logging onto the workstations.

You also need to have wins support = yes in your smb.conf, of course.
(Which, I notice, you say you already have).

I did have a couple of teething problems with this setup still
exhibiting the same problems, but they went away. I think you might
need to be sure that the samba server is, indeed the master browser -
by starting it up before any other clients on the windows network,
but that's just a wild guess.

Hope this helps.