[Samba] Migrate SMB/LDAP to new server

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Sat Dec 29 16:05:02 GMT 2007

dahopkins at comcast.net wrote:
> I need to migrate my current LDAP/SMB PDC to a new server. I found the information on how to replace an existing server with a new system with the same name, but in my case, I still need the existing system to continue as a slave LDAP/SMB BDC.  I used slapcat to get the ldap database, and then used this ldif to create the new ldap database on the new server. Linux logins work fine.  I used 'net getlocalsid/net setlocalsid'  to get and set the Domain SID.  I  copied over the profiles and NETLOGON directories, preserving permissions. I also manually set the WINS information on the windows clients to point to the new server.  However, when I then stop smb on the old server, change the smb.conf  file so that the machine is no longer a PDC, and start the new server as a PDC, and refresh the cache for Netbios on the windows clients, all windows logins fail.  I don't know what I am forgetting.
>
> Does anyone have a step-by-step for bringing a new LDAP/SMB PDC online while keeping the old server online as a slave LDAP/SMB BDC?
>
> Sincerely,
> Dave Hopkins
> Newark Charter School
> Newark Delaware

I don't know if this helps or not, but what I would do is follow the
howto on replacing the existing server with a new server with the same
name. Take the old server down then bring the new server up under the
old server's name.  Once that is working, install the old server as a
slave/BDC.

In other words, forget about trying to preserve anything from the old
server. If you want to use it as backup LDAP server, do that after
getting the new server running. Don't try to do both things at once.