[Samba] Migrate SMB/LDAP to new server

dahopkins at comcast.net dahopkins at comcast.net
Sat Dec 29 15:06:41 GMT 2007

I need to migrate my current LDAP/SMB PDC to a new server. I found the information on how to replace an existing server with a new system with the same name, but in my case, I still need the existing system to continue as a slave LDAP/SMB BDC.  I used slapcat to get the ldap database, and then used this ldif to create the new ldap database on the new server. Linux logins work fine.  I used 'net getlocalsid/net setlocalsid'  to get and set the Domain SID.  I  copied over the profiles and NETLOGON directories, preserving permissions. I also manually set the WINS information on the windows clients to point to the new server.  However, when I then stop smb on the old server, change the smb.conf  file so that the machine is no longer a PDC, and start the new server as a PDC, and refresh the cache for Netbios on the windows clients, all windows logins fail.  I don't know what I am forgetting.

Does anyone have a step-by-step for bringing a new LDAP/SMB PDC online while keeping the old server online as a slave LDAP/SMB BDC?

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins
Newark Charter School
Newark Delaware