[Samba] Cannot join domain with error: ads_connect: No logon servers

Jean-Pierre Gillione jpg1792 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 03:20:14 GMT 2007

Hello All,

I am trying to get a Gentoo Linux system to join a domain run by a Mac
OS X Server.  I have set up kerberos and ldap as per the instructions
in the Samba documentation and I am able to log in to the system using
the info (getent finds the users, and kinit successfully connects),
but I can't get Samba to join the domain and authenticate the users.
When I run "net ads join" I get:

[2007/12/17 19:16:07, 0] utils/net_ads.c:ads_startup_int(286)
  ads_connect: No logon servers
Failed to join domain: No logon servers

I have tried searching google for this, but have found no response.
Does anybody know what the problem is?

Thanks for any help.