[Samba] Re: scannedonly samba anti-virus vfs module

Olivier Sessink lists at olivier.pk.wau.nl
Sun Dec 16 10:13:18 GMT 2007

Brian May wrote:

>     Olivier> user. If this is not the case, the file is not returned
>     Olivier> in any directory listing, and cannot be opened. The samba
>     Olivier> vfs module will also tell the daemon to scan this file.
>
> I can't help but think this might be confusing to the user, if the
> file unexpectedly disappears after it is created or updated. If might
> also confuse some programs that expect the file to exist immediately
> after it is created.

true. What I've been thinking about (not yet implemented) is to make
some kind of 'timeout' option. When server loads are not too high files
are scanned very quick. So in such a case we could 'hold' the request
for half a second, and check again if the file is scanned already.

something like:

scannedonly: recheck_nonscanned_ms = 500

to hold 500ms and recheck the file

> Maybe it would be better to list the file in the directory listing
> still, but prevent it from being opened for reading?

I can make that configurable. Something like

scannedonly: hide_nonscanned_files = False

> Write-only opens should be OK I think.

Currently write-only is always granted. Read+write needs a scanned file
and read needs a scanned file.

regards,
	Olivier