[Samba] SAMBA under window?

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Fri Dec 14 02:43:30 GMT 2007

hce wrote:
> To be hornest, I don't know either, that's why I am aking :-). But,
> basically, I have many small linux devices (mobile, handset) which
> want to connect to a web server, or file system in a window to
> download html pages and to transfer files. Of cause, there is no Samba
> in the small linux devices, it is too small to install Samba (unless
> there is a small size of mini samba, please let me know if it is). So,
> I've been thinking if the Samba can be installed in the Window to
> allow the small linux devices to talk to window html server and to
> transfer files.

There seems to be a lot of confusion in your request here.

Do the small devices need to only retrieve files from the server?  Or do they
need to be able to put files onto the server, also?

You talk of "web server" and Samba.  Couldn't the devices just retrieve the
files using HTTP?  This would be your simplest option if you only need to
retrieve files from the server.

Or is the fact the windows box is a web server incidental -- totally irrelevant
to the question at hand?

If you want to access shared drives/folders on a windows machine from a Linux
client, then smbmount is your lightest option.  The server won't require any
changes, as Windows comes with SMB/CIFS support built in.  (As many people have
stated, the whole reason Samba exists is to provide the same functionality to
Unix/Unix-alike systems).

Your mention of "file system in a window" is bemusing.  What does this mean?

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net