[Samba] SAMBA under window?

hce webmail.hce at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 10:39:03 GMT 2007

On 12/14/07, Curtis Maloney <cmaloney at cardgate.net> wrote:
> hce wrote:
> > To be hornest, I don't know either, that's why I am aking :-). But,
> > basically, I have many small linux devices (mobile, handset) which
> > want to connect to a web server, or file system in a window to
> > download html pages and to transfer files. Of cause, there is no Samba
> > in the small linux devices, it is too small to install Samba (unless
> > there is a small size of mini samba, please let me know if it is). So,
> > I've been thinking if the Samba can be installed in the Window to
> > allow the small linux devices to talk to window html server and to
> > transfer files.
>
> There seems to be a lot of confusion in your request here.
>
> Do the small devices need to only retrieve files from the server?  Or do they
> need to be able to put files onto the server, also?
>
> You talk of "web server" and Samba.  Couldn't the devices just retrieve the
> files using HTTP?  This would be your simplest option if you only need to
> retrieve files from the server.
>
> Or is the fact the windows box is a web server incidental -- totally irrelevant
> to the question at hand?
>
> If you want to access shared drives/folders on a windows machine from a Linux
> client, then smbmount is your lightest option.  The server won't require any
> changes, as Windows comes with SMB/CIFS support built in.  (As many people have
> stated, the whole reason Samba exists is to provide the same functionality to
> Unix/Unix-alike systems).

Actually it is the window (MS) to access, config and download files to
linux devices., for example, the linux device could just be a wifi
media player. It can connect to streaming media via http, but it needs
be configurated or files be transferred from a window server (a
control server).

> Your mention of "file system in a window" is bemusing.  What does this mean?

In a MS window file system, the linux device can connect to it via
wifi (just like a USB stick plugs to the window file system).

Thanks for all responses. Your comments are indeed helpful.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Jim