[Samba] SAMBA under window?

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Thu Dec 13 02:28:31 GMT 2007

hce wrote:
> On Dec 12, 2007 2:32 PM, Adam Tauno Williams
> <adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I am thinking a network configuration where a SAMBA server is
>>> installed in a window machine so that the web server on that window
>>> machine can talk to linux devices. Is it possible, or it is a stupid
>>> idea?
>>>
>> There is no need to install Samba on Windows;  Samba does what Windows
>> natively provides.
>>

> I know. May be I should clarify it. Samba is normally installed under
> linux system, but some people only have window system (or they only
> use window system), but want to the web server and Samba server are
> installed on window so that the linux devices can talk to web server
> and window files system to do file transfer and all other things.

So you have some linux box somewhere and you need it to mount the file
system that is on a windows box?

> So, the question is really, can the Samba be compiled, intalled and
> configurated under Windows?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Jim

At first I assumed you had a web interface that used smbclient, which
would make a little more sense, but if you just want to share
directories from the windows system then you really don't need samba.

Samba was developed to allow *nix systems to do the things that windows
does natively, smb/cifs sharing is a built in part of windows.

*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
michaelh at jaswin.com.au <mailto:michaelh at jaswin.com.au>