[Samba] Samba Winbind results caching

Harding, Jonathan jonathan.harding at wachovia.com
Mon Dec 10 19:58:51 GMT 2007

I am currently using Samba Winbind 3.0.20b-3.21 on x86_64 SLES 9 to
authenticate an external application (CVSNT <http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki>
: http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki) using the ntlm_auth
--helper-protocol=squid-2.5-ntlmssp executable.  The Linux machine is
joined to a specific domain controller using security=domain and net rpc
join -Uuser -Sserver.  We are, however, experiencing problems when we
approach more than 1-2 connections per second. Tt will lock-out a user
from the domain controller.  I attended a talk at LinuxWorld this August
talking where the presenter (Thanks Jerry!) talked about results caching
in Winbind which I think was added somewhere in 3.0.23-3.0.26.  I've
converted my configuration to security=ADS, but does this even matter if
I'm using ntlm_auth?  However, I am not exactly sure how to enable
results caching
<http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/winbind.html
#id412710> :
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/winbind.html#
id412710  in smb.conf, if I even have to.  Will results caching work
with ntlm_auth?  Do I need to use any of the following or anything else
in my smb.conf?

        idmap backend = tdb ?

        winbind cache time = 300 ?  Why is this five minutes?  I thought
results caching knew when it needed to re-authenticate against the
domain controller.

<..smb.conf...>

         workgroup = MYDOMAIN

        #security = DOMAIN