Any filesystem for Samba shares? (Was: Re: [Samba] How to use ZFS volume)

Thu Aug 30 07:22:35 GMT 2007

On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 09:05:02AM +0200, Thomas Flaig wrote:

> > Samba generally will work with any filesystem, the only condition is
> > that it has to be posix compatible.
> Do you really mean any filesystem or only any local filesystem?

Any file system that is posix compatible and *works*.

> I thought that nfs-filsystems should be a posix compatible filesystem. Or
> is nfs not posix compatible?

I can't really speculate about Posix compatibility of NFS,
this probably very much depends on the specific
implementation. The problem with NFS is that the
implementations just suck. For example yesterday I heard a
specific implementation pretty quickly locks up hard when
you run Tridge's pingpong test (a test doing nothing but
fcntl locks with intermixed reads and writes), even as a
normal user. Samba has no way to deal with this kind of
deficiency.

Yes, in theory it should work, but there are so many
problems that at least I just refuse to look into
them. Others from the Samba Team I talked to feel very
similar. And for me, that's a pretty good definition of "not
supported".

Volker