Any filesystem for Samba shares? (Was: Re: [Samba] How to use ZFS volume)

Thomas Flaig thomas.flaig at unibw.de
Thu Aug 30 07:05:02 GMT 2007

Hello,
Am Mittwoch, 29. August 2007 19:45 schrieb simo:
> On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 09:58 +0900, Yoshikuni.Yanagiya at Sun.COM wrote:
> > I want to use Samba with ZFS volume, although I know 3.0.25c dose not
> > work with ZFS volume.
> Samba generally will work with any filesystem, the only condition is
> that it has to be posix compatible.
Do you really mean any filesystem or only any local filesystem?

I thought that nfs-filsystems should be a posix compatible filesystem. Or
is nfs not posix compatible?

Last week I have learned on this mailing list, that it is not always a
good idea to have samba shares on nfs-filesystems.
(Volker Lendecke even wrote on this list that this is not supported).

For References see:
and the answers to these mails on this mailing list.

Sure, if we add
| kernel oplocks = no
to the global part of our smb.conf file, sharing smb-shares on
nfs-filesystems seems to work.

Thomas
--
Thomas Flaig