[Samba] Samba 3.0.25c Going Nuts on our Network???

David Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Aug 28 05:57:46 GMT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: Volker Lendecke [mailto:Volker.Lendecke at SerNet.DE]
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2007 2:44 PM
To: David C. Rankin
Cc: jerry at samba.org; jra at samba.org
Subject: Re: [Samba] Samba 3.0.25c Going Nuts on our Network???

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 08:18:57AM -0500, David C. Rankin wrote:
>     I installed 3.0.25c on SuSE 10 this weekend and I discovered
> another race condition. I have captured both tcpdumps and level 10
> logs. The files are large, but you can get them from
> www.3111skyline.com/~david The files and sizes are:

These are different. The traces you sent in last time had trans2notifies,
this time it's a client going mad with asking for print queue status over
and over again. Not sure what triggered this, but I would be very surprised
if this was triggered with a .25b to .25c upgrade.

>     The race condition here seems related to my print to pdf script,
> but I have never had any problems with it until 3.0.25b. When the
> 3.0.25c race occurs, it is *huge* thousands and thousands of packets.
> I hope you guys can find the culprit. If you need any additional
> information, please do not hesitated to contact me and I'll send you
> what you need.

I don't think this is a race condition in the real computer science sense of
that word. I can't see anything unusual in those logs.

What kind of client is that? It's using the "old" LANMAN style printer
calls. Did you set "disable spoolss = yes"?

And, can you get us a debug level 10 log of the trans2findfirst/changenotify
loop?

Volker

_______________--

Volker, Jeremy:

	I'll keep monitoring the 3.0.25c install here at work and try to get
a level 10 of the trans2findfirst/changenotify loop issue. I was out of the
office most of the day today (yesterday now). I'm sure I'll catch it in the
next day or so!

	I was pretty sure the 3111skyline problems wasn't the same, but I
didn't understand what it was doing so I though I would pass it along.
Thanks guys and I'll catch the right bug next time!

David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC
510 Ochiltree Street
Nacogdoches, Texas 75961