[Samba] Re: Login-Problem with DFS-Share

Bill Marshall bmarsh at us.ibm.com
Fri Aug 24 16:50:53 GMT 2007

Holger Biber <Holger.Biber <at> Teleos-web.de> writes:

> But trying to use "net use l: \\samba\agbhome /USER:myuser" I'll be
> prompted for the password, and the error message is displayed:
> "Systemfehler 59 aufgetreten
>  Ein unerwarteter Netzwerkfehler ist aufgetreten"
>
> (translated: "Systemerror 59 occured.
>   An unexpected networkerror occured"

You're configuration is a little funny, but I don't think that has anything to
do with your problems. I'm assuming that the user you are logged onto XP
with doesn't have access to agbhome.

>From the network traces I've done w/ dfs I see:
1. client connects to samba server (using the userid from /user if one is
   specified)
2. The samba server sends back the dfs referral
3. The XP client initiates a new connect to the target server -- but it doesn't
   use the ID specified with /user.

I have assumed this was a MS bug or feature. They probably assume everyone signs
onto a domain and only connects w/ that userid.

As for your config, since you are using msdfs proxy, I don't think Samba is
ever looking at your symlinks.

> Strange, because directly on "samba" I use:
>
> admin:~ # smbclient \\\\samba\\agbhome -U AGB\\agb.bib
> Password:
> Domain=[AGB-NB] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.20b-3.21-1370-SUSE]
> session request to 172.18.160.11 failed (Called name not present)
> session request to 172 failed (Called name not present)
> session request to 172.18.160.11 failed (Called name not present)
> session request to 172 failed (Called name not present)
> smb: \> ls

Smbclient is probably sending specified userid on all the connections.

Bill