[Samba] NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

Khanh Le khanh.hoang.le at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 15:32:14 GMT 2007

All,

I am having a problem that I can not solve for the last  2 weeks. I
mounted a shared drive on the Samba server, and from the XP Home machine
I can
view the shared folder but cannot *write *to it. I followed the samba
setup instructions as given in

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202605&highlight=howto+windows+file+sharing+samba

Through the Samba diagnostic test procedure, I encountered the following
problem :

root at ubuntu-samba:/etc/samba# smbclient -L localhost
Password:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
root at ubuntu-samba:/etc/samba#

For your information, I am using the latest version of Samba. I used to
use an older Samba version and it works fine e.g. I can read/write to
the shared folder.
What would cause the NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE problem ? I scanned the web
for an answer and apparently there are no solutions, except
that some users mentioned the latest Samba version patches is not
working correctly under certain conditions.

I am running out of options to fix this problem, and will appreciate any
help from the community so that I can get some sleep.

Thanks,

Khanh