[Samba] Problems with slow printing (and name resolving?)

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 15:53:17 GMT 2007

> Browsing into files and folders works very good - it is only when you
> start to deal with the printers things start to slow down.

Have you checked the windows box during this wait for network
activity? I have seen this in the past (where windows would send out
thousands of packets during this time) and the cause was that windows
box was trying to contact a network printer that had been on the
network 5 years ago when we were with a different company. Apparently
deleting a printer from the printers list does not remove it from
windows wanting to contact it...

Check the Printers in HKEY_CURRENT_USER in the registry and remove any
entry to a non existent printer.

John