[Samba] Re: smbd using 99.9% CPU with MS Office docs

Mark Nienberg gmane at tippingmar.com
Wed Aug 22 17:11:51 GMT 2007

Ben Tisdall wrote:
> I made a post a few weeks ago regarding this but was unable to find a
> solution. This is the situation:
>
> + I'm attempting to upgrade from samba 3.0.23a (Fedora core package
> 3.0.23a-1.fc4.1) to the latest version compiled from Samba source.

Just a thought.  Instead of compiling from source, have you tried downloading the
fedora src file from samba.org and doing a "rpmbuild --rebuild"?  That is the way I
do it since it seems easier to me.  The resulting rpm file is clever enough to move
your samba files from redhat's locations (/var/cache/samba) to the default ones
(/var/lib/samba).  It will also tell you if you need additional packages installed in
order to compile.

Mark