[Samba] smbd using 99.9% CPU with MS Office docs

Ben Tisdall ben at redcircleit.com
Wed Aug 22 08:32:16 GMT 2007

I made a post a few weeks ago regarding this but was unable to find a
solution. This is the situation:

+ I'm attempting to upgrade from samba 3.0.23a (Fedora core package
3.0.23a-1.fc4.1) to the latest version compiled from Samba source.

+ When using the latest version (or 3.0.25b), Win clients can
authenticate & access shares fine, but attempting to open any kind of MS
Office doc (not just word docs as I originally thought) causes the
associated smbd process to leap to 99.5% CPU utilisation & remain there.
The effect of this on the production system is a DOS & the smbd
processes in question need a -KILL signal to terminate them.

These are the compile options I'm using:

./configure \
--with-piddir=/var/run \
--with-logfilebase=/var/log/samba \
--with-quotas \
--with-smbmount \
--enable-cups \
--with-configdir=/usr/local/samba/etc \

This is my testparm output:

http://www.redcircleit.com/public/misc/testparm.out.txt

(The smb.conf is based on the one used by the Fedora pkg, although with
the addition of msdfs root = yes as I understand this changed between
the two versions. Inverting the value doesn't help).

This is an strace:

http://www.redcircleit.com/public/misc/smbd.strace.txt

And this is a level 10 log (not recommended for slow connections):

http://www.redcircleit.com/public/misc/smbd.debug.log.gz

This problem is 100% reproducible & so severe that clearly it's either
something specific to the system in question or some silly error or
omission on my part. Unfortunately I'm stuck as to what this might be &
any pointers to further debugging would be very much appreciated.

--
Ben Tisdall