[Samba] PDF file not getting deleted in File Share Folder!

gomathi.palanimuthu at wipro.com gomathi.palanimuthu at wipro.com
Wed Aug 22 14:53:13 GMT 2007

Hi

We are facing an issue with Samba3.0.25b. Some pdf files are not getting
deleted from Samba fileshare.
The sequence to reproduce this bug is as follows.
Copy 150 PDF files in a shared folder.

Open the file share (FILE_SHARE) from Windows XP+SP2.

1. open 1.pdf file then close 1.pdf file
2. Delete the 1.pdf file.
3. now, open 2.pdf file then close 2.pdf file
4. Delete the 2.pdf file.

Repeat the same procedure for all the 150 files.

When every thing is done, do a F5 in the shared folder (FILE_SHARE).
We can see some of the files remaining which we have already deleted.

These files will not get deleted till we restart smbd and nmbd.
This issue has happened since some of the file Fd's not getting closed
and we can able to see the opened Fd's in the corresponding path
/proc/PID/fd. We couldn't able to delete the file for which the Fd's are
still opened.

We want to know the reason for the Fd's not getting closed sometimes.
Here are the Smb.conf parameters that we used
[global]

                private dir = /usr/local/samba/samba/3.0.25b/tdbstore
                security = user
                map to guest = Bad User
                use spnego = yes
                client use spnego = Yes
                dos charset = CP932
                unix charset = CP932
                display charset = CP932
                debuglevel = 0
                netbios name = 234567
                workgroup = workgroup
                client signing = auto
                server signing = auto
                server string = SMB Server
                encrypt passwords = Yes
                socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
                printer admin = @root,root
                log file = /usr/local/samba/samba/3.0.25b/log/common.log
                max connections = 13
                local master = no
                stat cache = no
                oplocks = no
                kernel oplocks = no
                level2 oplocks = no
                default devmode = yes
                print command = PrintJobSubmit %s
                lppause command = PrintJobPause %j
                lpresume command = PrintJobResume %j
                lprm command = PrintJobDelete %j
                lpq command = PrintQueueGet
        [FILE_SHARE]
                comment = For all users loggin in
                path = /usr/local/samba/samba/3.0.25b/file_share
                writable = yes
                printable = no
                create mask = 0777
                guest ok = yes
                guest only = yes
                posix locking = no
                oplocks = no
                level2 oplocks = no

Kindly help us the reason for the Fd's not getting closed for some PDF
files.And, this issue was seen both in Win XP SP2 as well Vista.

regards
Gomathi

www.wipro.com