[Samba] Why doesn't getent passwd work for me?

samba at piven.org samba at piven.org
Sat Aug 18 15:11:29 GMT 2007

Joseph Slone wrote:
> I've attached a samba 3 (3.023c-2.el5.2.0.2) server to my windows 2003
> domain.  The domain's functional level is Windows 2000 Native.
> The server is running Centos 5.   This configuration worked before I rebuild
> the server from Fedora Core 4 what ever version of samba it had.
> [snip]
>
> wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g returns the user and group list I expected.
>
> wbinfo --authenticate=name%password  returns
>
> plaintext password authentication succeeded
> challenge/response password authentication succeeded
>
> This concerns me, shouldn't the password be encrypted?
>
> getent passwd name  returns nothing.   getent passwd  returns a list of
> local accounts.

What does your /etc/nsswitch.conf look like?  You need to have the
winbind service specified for passwd and group lookups in order for
getent and friends to check winbind as well as the local files.

In /etc/nsswitch.conf, you should see lines looking like

passwd: files winbind
group:	files winbind

Don