[Samba] Why doesn't getent passwd work for me?

Joseph Slone joe.slone at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 19:07:22 GMT 2007

I've attached a samba 3 (3.023c-2.el5.2.0.2) server to my windows 2003
domain.  The domain's functional level is Windows 2000 Native.
The server is running Centos 5.   This configuration worked before I rebuild
the server from Fedora Core 4 what ever version of samba it had.

-- smb.conf --

[global]
        workgroup = mydomain
        netbios name = samba
        security = domain
        server string = Samba Server
        password server = passwd.server.edu
        encrypt passwords = yes
        wins server = 192.168.0.10
        interfaces = eth0 lo
        idmap uid = 15000-20000
        idmap gid = 15000-20000
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        printing = cup
        wins support = yes
        log level = 10

(IP addresses and names have been altered)

I ran the command

net rpc join -Uadministrator%mypassword

It replied
Joined domain mydomain.

wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g returns the user and group list I expected.

wbinfo --authenticate=name%password  returns

plaintext password authentication succeeded
challenge/response password authentication succeeded

This concerns me, shouldn't the password be encrypted?

getent passwd name  returns nothing.   getent passwd  returns a list of
local accounts.

Also, why would I need to have a krb5.conf file in my /etc directory.  I
didn't think I was running KRB.  When the default krb5.conf is there wbinfo
-u doesn't work, if I remove it wbinfo -u starts working after I restart
winbindd and smbd.