[Samba] Migrating NT4->Samba3: Found bogus group member...

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Aug 16 19:59:06 GMT 2007

Hadmut,

I wrote the HOWTO and I may be able to help you.

In return for helping you, when you have a working system will you help me to
fix the HOWTO documentation? Is that a deal you can handle?

On Thursday 16 August 2007 14:25, Hadmut Danisch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> today I tried to migrate an old NT4 PDC to Samba 3 as described in
>
>   http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/NT4Migration.html
>
> but with the Samba databases on LDAP: Whenever I tried that
>
>   net rpc vampire -S NT4PDC -U administrator%passwd
>
> I received error messages that the users cannot be created. When I set
> debugging to level 2, it told me about
>
>   Found bogus group member: ...

It sounds like you have Windows groups that have spaces in them. Does you
Samba host OS support spaces in group names?

The smbldap scripts will create a Windows Domain group (you call that a Samba
group) and maps that to a POSIX group with the same name. If your Samba host
OS does not support groups that have spaces in them, you will need to create
the Windows (Samba) groups and the matching POSIX group manually.

For example, if your Windows Domain Group on the NT4 domain is called "Master
Plummers", the smbldap scripts will create a Windows domain group
called "Master Plummers" (in the SambaSAM part of the LDAP directory entry)
for the POSIX account (it will add to the LDAP directory) called "Master
Plummers".

To get around the problem of a space in the name you should change the Windows
domain group name (eliminate the space) before migration. Following
migration, you could rename the Windows (SambaSAM) group name by re-insertion
of the space.

> Unfortunately, error messages are that poor that I did not yet figure
> out what exactly is the problem.

It can be a challenge to figure out what is the originating cause of the
problem.

> Does anyone know about this problem?

Your information is not detailed enough to finger the cause. I just took a
hunch from the few dozen migrations I had to do.

> And, btw., the instructions are quite confusing.

Since you have recognized that, please help me to fix them. Just point me to
exactly what is confusing - I'll try to fix it.

> The HOWTO tells about
> creating groups, but within the process of creating (and trying to use
> the smbldap-* scripts) I had to deal with groups in /etc/group, LDAP
> posix groups, Samba groups etc.

If your groups are in LDAP, why would you add them to /etc/group? Where does
the documentation tell you to add them to LDAP, Samba (Windows domain)
and /etc/group? That is plain stupid and must be fixed. so please point me to
it.

> Is there anywhere a precise description about how things belong
> together and which groups and contents are required? It is sort of
> difficult to debug if it not obvious how the data structures should
> look like.

Have you read the book "Samba3- By Example"? There is a chapter in there that
provides a detailed example of a migration from NT4 to Samba3. Is that not
clear enough? What is confusing about it? Please help me to fix it.

- John T.