[Samba] Multiple Domains and Machine Addition issue

Adam DiCaprio apdicaprio at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 16:15:27 GMT 2007

If I would like to have multiple domains hosted off a single server, do I
need to create multiple smb.conf and start the daemon individually for each
one? Are there any special catches when doing this with an LDAP backend?

Having an issue when adding a machine to my current domain. When I attempt
to add the machine to the domain, I will get a login error. If I go and
manually add the machine through adduser, then I can add the machine to the
domain but then I get a duplicate machine on the domain error when the
machine comes back up. Any ideas what is happening? Unfortunately, when I
start in debug mode and try to add the machine, I get a machine not found
and then samba dies. I haven't tested it yet, will try tonight, but do I
need to have the home directory for the machine exist in home prior to
adding the machine to the domain? What information can I provide to help?

the authentication seems to be ok as if I try to hit a share and log in with
one of the users, everything works fine. Thank you for any help you can
provide

Here is my smb.conf

[global]
  workgroup = mail1
  netbios name = mail1
  os level = 33
  preferred master = yes
  enable privileges = yes
  server string = %h server (Samba - mail server - RHEL4)
  wins support =yes
  dns proxy = no
  name resolve order = wins bcast hosts
  log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
  log level = 3
  max log size = 1000
  syslog only = no
  syslog = 0
  security = user
  encrypt passwords = true
  ldap passwd sync = yes
  passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://localhost/
  ldap admin dn = "uid=admin,cn=admins,cn=mail"
  ldap suffix = dc=mail1,dc=test,dc=com
  ldap group suffix = ou=groups
  ldap user suffix = ou=people
  ldap machine suffix = ou=machines
  obey pam restrictions = no
  passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
  passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
  domain logons = yes
  logon path = \\mail1.test.com\%U\profile<file://mail1.test.com/%25U/profile>
  logon home = \\mail1.test.com\%U <file://mail1.test.com/%25U>
  logon script = logon.cmd
  add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser --quiet --disabled-password --gecos ""
%u
  add machine script = /usr/sbin/adduser --shell /bin/false
--disabled-password --quiet --gecos "machine account" --force-badname %u
  socket options = TCP_NODELAY
  domain master = yes
  local master = yes
[homes]