[Samba] SERIOUS PROBLEM - Root Account Locked

Jason Baker jbaker at glastender.com
Wed Aug 8 20:51:27 GMT 2007

> Do you have a process (like a service or scheduled task) running on a
> client machine as user 'root' with an incorrect cached password?
No actually, this is what seems to be happening:
I log into a windows xp pro workstation as Administrator and browse the
network. I double-click on a network share, in this case a samba
computer called HENBANE. If I view pdbedit -Lv -u root from another
computer while I'm doing this, I can watch the bad login count rise from
0 to 8. I then get a message that pops up on the Windows workstation
that says something to the effect of "account locked".
I added guest account = nobody to my smb.conf file and now I can browse
the HENBANE share after being prompted for a username and password, but
the bad password count for root now shows 2, and it rises higher each
time I access a share that requires a username and password.

*Jason Baker
*/IT Coordinator/

*Glastender Inc.*
5400 North Michigan Road