[Samba] Request for explanation on NFS re-export issue

Tue Aug 7 09:26:14 GMT 2007

On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 04:56:10AM -0400, John Drescher wrote:

> > But however: DONT re-export nfs-imported shares with Samba.
> > Install Samba on the NFS server.
> >

> Just wondering as I have seen this advice a few times in the past.
>
> Would it be possible to use msdfs to make it look to the users that the
> files are still on one server as I have been exporting NFS links like that
> for many years and my users would be very upset if they had to go to 1/2
> dozen servers instead of the one they have been using for years?

Sure, but to switch from non-dfs to dfs be aware that you
have to boot all clients. It may also be possible that
you're right now sitting on a version that has the msdfs
options set to "yes". Check your testparm output.

Volker