[Samba] Keeping samba off the internet

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Aug 5 16:23:40 GMT 2007

On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 11:40:24 -0400 "John Drescher"
<drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Clearly, I've got samba incorrectly specified somehow. What should
> > I be doing to stop it looking in the wrong place for an ip address?
> >

> You can setup your own dns server. This is not a difficult process
> and it will speed up your dns resolution for your network.

This has been suggested before, and it's something I might try at a
later date.

> Or you can use the name resolve order param to set the browse order
> and put your host names in your /etc/hosts file.

But putting a host name and IP address in etc/hosts seems to have done
the trick. (I've only tried it on one PC to print to another so far,
but that worked perfectly.) So thank you! You don't know how much
stress you've removed from me. "Thank you" seems so inadequate, but
it'll have to do.

But one thing: where do I find the name resolve order param? It seems
to be in the right order for me, but I don't like having things work
just be chance. I'll feel happier if I know I can fix things if they go
wrong,

--
 All the best,
 John