[Samba] inconsistency?

mikee mikeegg1 at mac.com
Fri Aug 3 16:54:42 GMT 2007

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007, John Drescher might have said:

> On 8/3/07, joop gerritse <jjge at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> > I am less than familiar with Microsoft, so I guess it might be an FAQ...
> >
> > if I click on "network neighborhood" which reveals a Samba server, it shows a
> > list of all shares. If I click on a share, I get a message "cannot find share
> > name". Somehow this does not sound logical to me... what is wrong?
> > --
> >
> This is not normal with samba. Perhaps something is wrong with either
> your permissions on the share or your network browsing (WINS, DNS or
> lmhosts).
>
> John

Today I have a user that gets a 'Permission Denied' when trying to reach
her home directory (\\$host\$user). At the DOS command line I did a
'net use h:\ /d' then a 'net use h: \\$host\$user' and the user now has
full access. I did have the user logoff proir to the 'net' commands to see
if things would reset.

Mike