[Samba] Permission denied when opening certain files - NT_STATUS_NOT_A_REPARSE_POINT

Josh Kelley joshkel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 13:49:51 GMT 2007

On 8/1/07, Daniel Bramkamp <bramkamp at team-datentechnik.de> wrote:
> I am experiencing a strange issue on our Samba PDC (3.0.24). Today I
> got called up by a user who was unable to open certain files from a
> samba share. He can open .doc, .xls, .pdf, etc. just fine, however, if
> he tries to open a .mdb file or an executable program from that share,
> he gets a permission denied message. Opening the same files from
> another user account logged into the same terminalserver works just
> fine.
>
> I have looked through the logs on the server and found a weird message:
>
> error packet at smbd/nttrans.c(90) cmd=160 (SMBnttrans)
> NT_STATUS_NOT_A_REPARSE_POINT

As a wild guess, have you tried rebooting the client and then
disconnecting and re-mapping the network drive?  Samba 3.0.23-3.0.25
contain some changes to DFS settings that have caused some users
problems, and although that doesn't sound like your problem, it might
be worth a try.

As a second wild guess...  I wonder if some client software specific
to that user is trying to interpret the file as a reparse point...  A
client-side tool like Sysinternals' Process Monitor
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Utilities/ProcessMonitor.mspx)
could show you the file operations that the client is attempting and
might help show what's going on.

Josh Kelley