[Samba] Permission denied when opening certain files - NT_STATUS_NOT_A_REPARSE_POINT

Daniel Bramkamp bramkamp at team-datentechnik.de
Wed Aug 1 12:28:23 GMT 2007

Hi,

I am experiencing a strange issue on our Samba PDC (3.0.24). Today I
got called up by a user who was unable to open certain files from a
samba share. He can open .doc, .xls, .pdf, etc. just fine, however, if
he tries to open a .mdb file or an executable program from that share,
he gets a permission denied message. Opening the same files from
another user account logged into the same terminalserver works just
fine.

I have looked through the logs on the server and found a weird message:

error packet at smbd/nttrans.c(90) cmd=160 (SMBnttrans)
NT_STATUS_NOT_A_REPARSE_POINT

I could not find anything on the web that relates to this error
message except source code.

Help would be much appreciated. If more debugging info like logfiles
or config files are needed, I will happily provide them.

Thanks in advance
--
Daniel Bramkamp