[Samba] "Failed to create Users" problem. PLUS further evidence

Felipe Augusto van de Wiel felipe at paranacidade.org.br
Wed Aug 1 17:49:24 GMT 2007

Daryl wrote, On 01-08-2007 11:48:
> Hi,
>
> Felipe Augusto van de Wiel wrote:
>> 	Hmmm... the builtin groups changed a little bit in the
>> course of Samba releases, did you check Release Notes or your
>> FC packages about that? If I'm not wrong this happened on 3.0.23
>>

>        Assuming that's true, how would I change things
> to get this problem to go away? Add some kind of group
> mapping or something? How does one go about doing that?

	Did you checked the Release Notes? And the Samba
Official HOWTO about Group Mapping?

>        I may try verifying that 3.0.23 introduced this
> issue by rolling back samba to its previous version
> (whatever it was). We'll see.

	Ok.

>        ALSO
>
>        My Windows XP client also dual-boots into Fedora
> 7 as well, and from Fedora 7 on the workstation I can
> access the samba shares:
>
> $ smbclient -L //www
> Password:
> Anonymous login successful
> Domain=[HOME] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.25b-2.fc7]
>
>         Sharename       Type      Comment
>         ---------       ----      -------
>         homes           Disk      Home Directories
>         files           Disk
>         IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server Version 3.0.25b-2.fc7)
> Anonymous login successful
> Domain=[HOME] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.25b-2.fc7]
>
>         Server               Comment
>         ---------            -------
>         WWW                  Samba Server Version 3.0.25b-2.fc7
>
>         Workgroup            Master
>         ---------            -------
>         HOME                 WWW

	This is an anonymous login.

>        But for some strange reason, the same machine in
> Windows cannot see the "www" machine at all.

	Probably because you are not login anonymously from Windows.

>        My question is now:  What reason would there be for
> the client to be able to connect to samba from Linux but
> not from Windows?

	Anonymous logins are different from WinXP logins, AFAICT.

>        I am going to hook up wireshark and watch what's going
> on at the network level when I get a free moment. In the
> meantime, any suggestions whatsoever are welcome.

	If everything is ok with you user and group account,
group mappings and SID, everything should be ok, getting the
error about builtin accounts with the fact of the migration
hint me to the BUILTIN Group problems.

	It could be something else, increased log levels (10)
can help a lot in this context, you can also test simples
shares decreasing the security level just to figure out what's
going on.

	Kind regards,
- --