[Samba] "Failed to create Users" problem. PLUS further evidence

Daryl samba at darylbeattie.com
Wed Aug 1 14:48:19 GMT 2007

Hi,

Felipe Augusto van de Wiel wrote:
> 	Hmmm... the builtin groups changed a little bit in the
> course of Samba releases, did you check Release Notes or your
> FC packages about that? If I'm not wrong this happened on 3.0.23

       Assuming that's true, how would I change things to get this
problem to go away? Add some kind of group mapping or something? How
does one go about doing that?
       I may try verifying that 3.0.23 introduced this issue by rolling
back samba to its previous version (whatever it was). We'll see.

       ALSO

       My Windows XP client also dual-boots into Fedora 7 as well, and
from Fedora 7 on the workstation I can access the samba shares:

$ smbclient -L //www
Password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[HOME] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.25b-2.fc7]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        homes           Disk      Home Directories
        files           Disk
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server Version
3.0.25b-2.fc7)
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[HOME] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.25b-2.fc7]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        WWW                  Samba Server Version 3.0.25b-2.fc7

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        HOME                 WWW

       But for some strange reason, the same machine in Windows cannot
see the "www" machine at all.
       My question is now:  What reason would there be for the client to
be able to connect to samba from Linux but not from Windows?
       I am going to hook up wireshark and watch what's going on at the
network level when I get a free moment. In the meantime, any suggestions
whatsoever are welcome.

Sincerely,

       Daryl.