[Samba] Joining Samba 3.24 to 2003 ADS

Jeff Thurston jthurston at skyline-ats.com
Thu Apr 26 22:20:41 GMT 2007

I'm hoping someone can give me a clue what I am doing wrong here,

Running Debian Etch AMD64, I followed the samba wiki at:
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_
<http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_&_Active_Directory#Prerequisites>
&_Active_Directory#Prerequisites.

I get mostly good results, except when I try to run 'getent passwd' or
'getent group' only local users/groups are listed.

I was able to join the domain: net ads join -U admin_user

The system shows up in AD under computers on the PDC.

Afterwards if I do wbinfo -u, wbinfo -g, wbinfo -p, wbinfo -t, wbinfo -a
ad_user%password

All of those appear to work correctly.

This however seems somewhat fishy, it says "Active Directory: No":

'wbinfo -D domain.com'

Name              : DOMAIN

Alt_Name          : DOMAIN.COM

SID               : S-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Active Directory  : No

Native            : No

Primary           : Yes

Sequence          : 2008