[Samba] Samba -> WinXP: slow transfers, partial solution

Jancio Wodnik jancio_wodnik at wp.pl
Mon Apr 16 21:12:05 GMT 2007

Alexander Tsvyashchenko napisał(a):

>> I have slow transfer from my samba serwer, casue my HDD wasn't running
>> in UDMA mode, only in PIO, beside this a installed CentOS 4 and all 2
>> disks are running in UDMA mode and there isn't a issue with network
>> speed between WINXP SP2 and samba serwer.
>>
>> Maybe check yours HDD too ?
>
> Thanks for the idea, but I'm afraid this is not the case in my
> situation, as HDD is certainly capable of delivering the required speed.
>
> (to be 100% sure I've just done traditional dd if=***big-file***
> of=/dev/null test on server, the same file I used for transfers speeds
> measurements, the speed is 42 MB/s)
>
> Good luck!                                     Alexander

I have noticed too, that antyvirus software can cause slowdown transfer
from samba serwer. fer example Panda Atyvirus titanium 2005 - it scans
everyting, even files from samba share, i'm screew up this software,
because my samba network was slownd down.

Do You have any antyvirus software, that scan smb shares, when files are
accessing ?

I.Piasecki