[Samba] ldap password sync

Edmundo Valle Neto edmundo.valle at terra.com.br
Wed Apr 11 01:29:53 GMT 2007

David.

You appears to have two conflicting options setted, I saw that you
enabled the "ldap passwd sync", this is the right way to do this, samba
will sync the password directly in ldap without any external command (at
least I think it does that way).

But when you set "unix password sync" to yes, samba will try to use the
specified "passwd program" using the specified "passwd chat" as root. I
dont know exactly what happens in the samba code when the two are setted
to yes, in my tests (with the other options (unix pass sync, passwd
program and chat) setted as yours) windows clients refuses to change the
password saying that they doesnt have right to do that (heh, a very nice
error message to someone say to me that I need to fix my LDAP acls to
solve that :) ).

If I remember right "unix password sync" is no by default (you can check
this with "testparm -v | grep sync" when the option is not setted), in
this case, passwd program and chat are simply ignored, doesnt make
difference what you put there.

Just dont set "unix password sync" to yes at the same time with "ldap
passwd sync".

Regards.

Edmundo Valle Neto