[Samba] ldap password sync

Sean Elble elbles at sessys.com
Wed Apr 11 01:57:07 GMT 2007

On 4/10/07 9:29 PM, "Edmundo Valle Neto" <edmundo.valle at terra.com.br> wrote:

> David.
>
> You appears to have two conflicting options setted, I saw that you
> enabled the "ldap passwd sync", this is the right way to do this, samba
> will sync the password directly in ldap without any external command (at
> least I think it does that way).

Heh, I never even noticed that he had that option enabled in the first
place. Oops . . .

> But when you set "unix password sync" to yes, samba will try to use the
> specified "passwd program" using the specified "passwd chat" as root. I
> dont know exactly what happens in the samba code when the two are setted
> to yes, in my tests (with the other options (unix pass sync, passwd
> program and chat) setted as yours) windows clients refuses to change the
> password saying that they doesnt have right to do that (heh, a very nice
> error message to someone say to me that I need to fix my LDAP acls to
> solve that :) ).

I would think that one *COULD* use just the unix password sync and passwd
program parameters to change all the passwords, assuming the passwd program
had access to a DN with ACLs to change those parameters. BUT, LDAP passwd
sync is definitely the easiest/best option . . .

> If I remember right "unix password sync" is no by default (you can check
> this with "testparm -v | grep sync" when the option is not setted), in
> this case, passwd program and chat are simply ignored, doesnt make
> difference what you put there.
>
> Just dont set "unix password sync" to yes at the same time with "ldap
> passwd sync".

Good advice - Wish I had noticed that in David's original post.

> Regards.
>
> Edmundo Valle Neto
>

> David Pinkerton escreveu:
>> I'm trying to get ldap/unix password sync working.
>>
>> Using this config, packet traces show no requests to update userPassword
>> (only the samba passwords)
>>
>> Can  someone see what I've done wrong?
>>

>> [global]
>>    workgroup = HOME
>>    netbios name = DHP
>>
>>    security = user
>>    encrypt passwords = yes
>>    enable privileges = yes
>>
>>    passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1
>>    passwd program = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-passwd -u %u
>>    unix password sync = yes
>>
>>    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
>>    utmp = yes
>>    max log size = 50
>>    log level = 1
>>    syslog = 0
>>
>>    add user script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd -m "%u"
>>    add machine script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w "%u"
>>
>>    add group script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-groupadd -p "%g"
>>
>>    add user to group script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -m "%u" "%g"
>>    delete user from group script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -x "%u"
>> "%g"
>>    set primary group script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-usermod -g "%g" "%u"
>>
>>    domain logons = yes
>>    domain master = yes
>>    os level = 65
>>    preferred master = yes
>>    wins support = yes
>>
>>    ldap admin dn = cn=admin,o=dhp
>>    ldap passwd sync = yes
>>    ldap delete dn = yes
>>    ldap suffix = o=dhp
>>    ldap machine suffix = ou=machine
>>    ldap user suffix = ou=staff
>>    ldap group suffix = ou=group
>>    ldap idmap suffix = ou=idmap
>>    idmap uid = 10000-20000
>>    idmap gid = 10000-20000
>>

>> The contents of this email may be privileged and confidential, any
>> unauthorised use of the contents is expressly prohibited. If you are not the
>> intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken
>> or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
>> PLAN Australia is not liable for the proper and complete transmission of the
>> information contained in this communication, nor for any delay in its
>> receipt.

|  Sean Elble                                     |
|  Virginia Tech, Class of 2008                   |
|  Vice President, VTLUUG                         |
|  E-Mail:   elbles at sessys.com                    |
|  Web:      http://www.sessys.com/~elbles/       |
|  Cell:     860.946.9477                         |