[Samba] Samba kills network.

C.Scheeder samba at scheeder.de
Sat Apr 7 08:52:39 GMT 2007

Roots schrieb:
> Client OS: Windows XP SP2, Samba 3.0.24-3.fc6.
>
> Tested from another client: Yes i have more than one computer that both
> have the same problems.
>
> Updated NIC Drivers: I have checked for updated drivers for clients but
> have found non. I im unsure what driver version is built into the kernel
> on the server the NIC is e1000 (82545GM). So No.
>
> Corrupt Packets: I had some problems with this but replaced some cables
> these problems have gone away but samba problems continue.
>
> Replaced Hardware: Nope, I have no problems with file swapping between
> XP clients.

so at least please try to connect your server to a diffrent port of your
switch, i have seen single ports of switches die.

> Updated Switch Firmware: My switch is unmanaged (Netgear GS116).
>
> Booting from a live CD: I booted from knoppix and dint appear to have
> any problems. However as its an intermittent problem i cant be sure.
>
> UNC or Mapped drive: I'm using mapped drives.
>
> Make sure server is master browsers: Yes it is.
>
> The Problem: I find the problem main occurs when i try to swap file
> between network drivers on the server from the. Or when dumping files on
> the server, or when saving files to the server from firefox. I don't
> find the file size makes any difference.
>
> Tom, in answer to your question im having trouble testing if your fix
> works for me as i'm not seeing the problem at the moment all though I'm
> sure it will return.
>

> Ive included a copy of my config, the errors in a text file and a
> ethereal cap of my network during one of the errors. If someone with a
> better understand of network protocols than me was to take a look at it
> take the trouble to look at the cap im sure they would be able to figure
> out whats going on. All the files are in this rar:
> http://timo.bulldoghome.com/pages/timo_bulldoghome_com/samba.rar

ok, i have a few questions/comments about your smb.conf:
first: keep it as simple as possible, don't set options you do not need
to change from the default.

[global]
	getwd cache = yes
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=65536 SO_RCVBUF=65536 IPTOS_LOWDELAY

i guess you have a recent kernel (2.6.xx), so get rid of these
SO_SNDBUF/SO_RCBUFF options. There has been a discussion on these
options on the list a few Weeks ago, and the conclusion was that they
are bad more or less withe recent kernels.

	use sendfile = no
why do you disable sendfile here, if you later on enable it for most of
your shares?

	lock spin time = 15
	lock spin count = 30

"lock spin count" is non-functional with your samba-version, and
"lock spin time" has a default of 200 microseconds, why do you reduce it
to 15 microseconds?

	map to guest = bad user
	log level = 1
	security = user
	os level = 64
	local master = Yes
  	time server = Yes
	domain master = yes
	preferred master = yes
	wins support = yes
	domain logons = yes
	dos filetimes = Yes
	workgroup = Family
	netbios name = Ghost
	server string = Samba Server %v
	printcap name = cups
	load printers = yes
	printing = cups
	printer admin = root @adm @is
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 50
	;hosts allow = 192.168.1.0/24 127.0.0.1
	interfaces = eth1 lo
	bind interfaces only = yes
	encrypt passwords = yes
	smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
	add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -c
'Machine Account' -s /bin/false -M %u

	wins proxy = yes

you do not need "wins-proxy" with modern clients (w2k and newer)

	dns proxy = no
	logon path =
	logon drive = U:
	logon script = %U.bat
	oplocks = no
	level2 oplocks = no

why do you disable oplocks here, if you later on enable it for most of
your shares?

	change notify timeout = 300
	lpq cache time = 30

	winbind uid = 10000-20000
	winbind gid = 10000-20000
	winbind separator = +
you don't want winbind-stuff at all, as you are the domain-controler.
please remove these options. (and don't start winbind, you only need it
if you are not the PDC of the domain your authenticating agains)

	oplocks = no
	level2 oplocks = no

Huh, why disable oplocks again?!?

;	deadtime = 60
	wins proxy = yes
	lpq cache time = 30
	change notify timeout = 300
	getwd cache = yes
	dos filetimes = yes
	domain logons = yes
	obey pam restrictions = yes
	unix password sync = Yes
	pam password change = yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *Re*ype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n \
	add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false '%u'
	delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel '%s'
	add user to group script = /usr/bin/gpasswd -a '%u' '%g'
	delete user from group script = /usr/bin/gpasswd -d '%u' '%g'
	set primary group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -g '%g' '%u'
	add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g && getent group '%g'|awk -F:
'{print $3}'
	delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel '%g'
	add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -c
'Machine Account' -s /bin/false -M %u
	smb ports = 445

> Tim Otten
Christoph