[Samba] Samba kills network.

C.Scheeder samba at scheeder.de
Sat Apr 7 08:14:28 GMT 2007

Tom Peters schrieb:
> By the way, I was hoping this would be significant: If I refresh my view
> of a Samba share on the XP box by pressing F5 or clicking
> View-->Refresh, so that there is some recent activity on that share, and
> then begin the copy operation immediately, e.g. within 20 seconds, the
> copy operation always succeeds.

This makes me beleave it's a problem of your XP-installation.
Please give it a try to boot with a knoppix or another live-cd and then
test if the problems are reproduceable or not.

> Roots <roots0 at gmail.com> is that true for you as well?
>
> The files I am copying tend to be medium-large: 180 mb to 900 mb. But
> even with small files I've had it do the same thing.
>
> At 10:00 AM 4/6/2007 +0200, C.Scheeder wrote:
>> Hi,
>> First:
>> you missed to tell us the version of samba you are using, and the
>> Software/OS of the client you are trying to copy your files from.
>
> Yes, sorry, I realized after that we had not discussed versions or etc.
> Of course I don't know what versions Roots <roots0 at gmail.com> but I have
> 3.0.9-2.3 of Samba here. I know it's pretty old.

and your kernelversion is?

>> second:
>> I never had any problems moving large files around using w98/W2k/XP
>> boxes to and from the samba-servers i maintain (roundabout 12 machines),
>> except when bad/dying hardware/software was involved.
>>
>> have you tried from another client?
>
> Yes. Similar issues result from another XP Pro box.
>
>> have you updated ALL your clients drivers (not only the Nic's drivers)
>> to the latest versions?
>
> No.

Ok as you have tryend from two clients, that shouldn't be a problem,
as i guess they have diffrentz Hardware.

>> have you checked if there are corrupted packets on your network
>> ("ifconfig eth1" shows you statistics off packets on your server)
>
> It's eth0 for me. Out of 95 million packets received the errors counts
> are: 1 error, 7 overruns, 1 frame, 0 dropped.
> For 102.77 million packet sent, I have zero errors of any kind, zero
> collisions, txqueue length 1000.

OK, that is bad. You should not get errors here with modern Hardware.
I checked the servers i can lay my hands on from here, and they have no
errors, nada. (one of them with over 300 million packets send and
received, and 5 other with lower counts, probably caused by wrapping
counters.)

>> have you replaced any peace of hardware inbetween the server and the
>> client?
>
> No. Well, yes, but it made no difference. I swapped my SMC 10/100/1000
> switch out for a 3Com SmartStack 10/100.
>
> I did however try a crossover cable some time ago. The same results
> (errors) occur.

Did you try and replace the NIC's in the clients and the server?
I have seen strange things happen with partly damaged/dying NIC's.
Even defekt onboard NIC's on brand new motherboards.

>> (if you don't have a spare-switch, connect client and server via an
>> crossover-cable...)
>>
>> has your switch updateable firmware? if yes, have you updated it to the
>> latest version?
>
> I checked. There is no later version available for the SMC.
>
>> try to boot knoppix on the client and smbmount the shares then test if
>> then copying works.
>>
>> Make shure your server is the masterbrowser at any time.
>
> The os level is set to 33, which is supposed to make sure of that.

SUPPOSED, i've seen XP-computers steal the Masterbrowser-role even from
a samba server with os-level set to 255, took me half a Day to find the
machine and punish the user for having installed tcp-ip, netbios and
netware-protokoll on the machine.

>> make shure ALL unused network connections in your clients are
>> disabled. (like ieee1394-network, or dvb-network, unused
>> WLAN-Connetions and what the hell modern windows versions think of
>> devices being able to do networking)
>> Christoph

Christoph