[Samba] Samba kills network.

Tom Peters tpeters at mixcom.com
Fri Apr 6 21:01:54 GMT 2007

By the way, I was hoping this would be significant: If I refresh my view of
a Samba share on the XP box by pressing F5 or clicking View-->Refresh, so
that there is some recent activity on that share, and then begin the copy
operation immediately, e.g. within 20 seconds, the copy operation always
succeeds.

Roots <roots0 at gmail.com> is that true for you as well?

The files I am copying tend to be medium-large: 180 mb to 900 mb. But even
with small files I've had it do the same thing.

At 10:00 AM 4/6/2007 +0200, C.Scheeder wrote:
>Hi,
>First:
>you missed to tell us the version of samba you are using, and the
>Software/OS of the client you are trying to copy your files from.

Yes, sorry, I realized after that we had not discussed versions or etc. Of
course I don't know what versions Roots <roots0 at gmail.com> but I have
3.0.9-2.3 of Samba here. I know it's pretty old.

>second:
>I never had any problems moving large files around using w98/W2k/XP
>boxes to and from the samba-servers i maintain (roundabout 12 machines),
>except when bad/dying hardware/software was involved.
>
>have you tried from another client?

Yes. Similar issues result from another XP Pro box.

>have you updated ALL your clients drivers (not only the Nic's drivers)
>to the latest versions?

No.

>have you checked if there are corrupted packets on your network ("ifconfig
>eth1" shows you statistics off packets on your server)

It's eth0 for me. Out of 95 million packets received the errors counts are:
1 error, 7 overruns, 1 frame, 0 dropped.
For 102.77 million packet sent, I have zero errors of any kind, zero
collisions, txqueue length 1000.

>have you replaced any peace of hardware inbetween the server and the
>client?

No. Well, yes, but it made no difference. I swapped my SMC 10/100/1000
switch out for a 3Com SmartStack 10/100.

I did however try a crossover cable some time ago. The same results
(errors) occur.

>(if you don't have a spare-switch, connect client and server via an
>crossover-cable...)
>
>has your switch updateable firmware? if yes, have you updated it to the
>latest version?

I checked. There is no later version available for the SMC.

>try to boot knoppix on the client and smbmount the shares then test if
>then copying works.
>
>Make shure your server is the masterbrowser at any time.

The os level is set to 33, which is supposed to make sure of that.

> [...]
>>>         path = /disks/hdg
>>>         public = yes
>>>         only guest = yes
>>>         writable = yes
>>>         printable = no
>>>         oplocks = Yes
>>>         level2 oplocks = yes
>>>         use sendfile = yes
>>>
>>>[Music]
>>>         comment = Music
>>>         path = /disks/hdc
>>>         public = yes
>>>         only guest = yes
>>>         writable = yes
>>>         printable = no
>>>         oplocks = Yes
>>>         level2 oplocks = yes
>>>         use sendfile = yes
>>>
>>>[Games & Music & Videos]
>>>         comment = Games & Music & Videos
>>>         path = /disks/sdc
>>>         public = yes
>>>         only guest = yes
>>>         writable = yes
>>>         printable = no
>>>         oplocks = Yes
>>>         level2 oplocks = yes
>>>         use sendfile = yes
>>>--
>>I have this problem all the time. Samba for me will cause the "The
>>specified network name no longer exists" (that's how it's worded for me,
>>not "available") and copy a zero-length file to the destination drive.
>>Reads from a Samba share are never any problem for me.
>>If you immediately retry the operation, and immediately say "Y" to
>>overwrite it, it will succeed.
>>If you do the above for the first in a series of files to be copied to a
>>Samba share, it will copy all the rest of them sucessfully.
>>The other thing that gives this error away is the "getpeername
>>failed...  ...transport endpoint not connected. "
>>I thought I had this fixed, but after months, it has recurred. The fix I
>>tried was this (in smb.conf):
>>smb ports = 139
>>The explanation I got was that Windows try to connect to a server over
>>ports 443 and 139 nearly simultaneously, then use whichever one responds
>>first. Samba replies to both, and it might be that Windows has already
>>decided which it's going to use, and interprets the double reply as a failure.
>>Use sendfile = no has also been suggested to me.
>>Frankly, this is embarrassing, and has kept me from pushing Samba harder.
>>When I ask about it, nobody seems to have a real answer.
>>-Tom
>>
>>-----
>>595. [Science] Experience has shown that science frequently develops most
>>fruitfully once we learn to examine the things that seem the simplest,
>>instead of those that seem the most mysterious. --Marvin Minsky
>>--... ...--  -.. .  -. ----. --.- --.- -...
>>tpeters at nospam.mixcom.com   (remove "nospam") N9QQB (amateur radio)
>>"HEY YOU" (loud shouting)    WEB: http://www.mixweb.com/tpeters
>>43° 7' 17.2" N by 88° 6' 28.9" W,  Elevation 815',  Grid Square EN53wc
>>WAN/LAN/Telcom Analyst, Tech Writer, MCP, CCNA, Registered Linux User 385531

-----
560. [Sex] The kiss originated when the first male reptile licked the first
female reptile, implying in a subtle, complimentary way that she was as
succulent as the small reptile he had for dinner the night before. --F.
Scott Fitzgerald (1896-1940)