[Samba] Problem with samba and XP

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Fri Apr 6 17:14:22 GMT 2007

You haven't really provided enough information. It looks like you are
using Samba to share files but not to control a domain. I gather this is
a home setup and you may be using either XP/Home or have a separate
Windows PDC. Either way, I'd suggest you install and use SWAT if you
aren't already. It has a wizard to set up the  Samba server appropriately.

If you aren't using a Domain, make sure that each person is in the
appropriate Unix group to access each share. Set the share permissions
and valid users appropriately. Right now, karen is the only one with
access to pictures, which may not be what you want. For guest ok to
work, you also need to make sure that the shares are world accessible.

If you are using a Domain, then use your Windows domain admin account to
create the appropriate groups and set the share permissions. Have the
Unix permissions set to give Samba full access to the shares.

You may also want to consider using a better file system for the shared
folders. Fat32 is very limited. It can't use proper Unix permissions,
doesn't allow large files, doesn't support journalling and doesn't
support advanced features.