[Samba] home shares and thunderbird profiles

Mark Nienberg gmane at tippingmar.com
Mon Apr 2 18:08:14 GMT 2007

We find it convenient to keep thunderbird email client profiles on our home shares
rather than in our user profiles, as is the default.  From time to time some users
experience the dreaded "delayed write failed" error for certain thunderbird files.
The only solution seems to be to log off and log on again. (after clicking OK to
accept the error about seven times).

We are sharing lots of autocad and engineering files on other shares and we never see
a delayed write failed error on those, so it seems to me that it is not a general
networking problem, but rather a thunderbird or home share problem.  Are there any
tuning tips for the home share that might help?

[mark at gecko ~]$ uname -a
Linux gecko.tippingmar.com 2.6.17-1.2142_FC4 #1 Tue Jul 11 22:41:06 EDT 2006
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[mark at gecko ~]$ rpm -q samba
samba-3.0.24-1

in smb.conf:
[global]
         workgroup = STA
         server string = FileServer
         log level = 1
         log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
         max log size = 500
         name resolve order = wins lmhosts host bcast
         time server = Yes
         load printers = No
         add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 99 -c machine -M %u
         logon script = logscript.bat
         logon path = \\gecko\profiles\%u
         domain logons = Yes
         os level = 65