[Samba] Sync unix and samba passwords

Craig Jackson CJackson at abbott-simses.com
Sat Sep 30 13:05:42 GMT 2006

Samba docs say that pam_smbpass.so is in fact what I need and I have
added the following line to /etc/pam.d/common-passwd

password   required   pam_smbpass.so nullok use_authtok try_first_pass

But #passwd <user> doesn't sync the LDAP NT/LM passwords and there is this
in the log:

 CRON[18769]: PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so

According to Samba docs, pam_smbpass.so is used to keep the smbpasswd
(Samba password) database in sync, but does that really mean ONLY
smbpasswd or any Samba backend?

Thanks.
Craig