[Samba] Roaming profiles and USRMGR.EXE

Bernd Pörner bernd.poerner at gmx.net
Sun Sep 10 15:25:42 GMT 2006

I'm using Samba 3.0.22 on Ubuntu 6.06.1 as PDC for our Windows
workstations. The passdb backend is tdbsam.

I want to employ roaming profiles and due to the fact that we have a
mixed Windows environment (Windows 2000 Pro and Windows XP Pro) I have
the following entry in my smb.conf:

logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U\%a

Basically, this works fine. If a user is working on a W2k workstation,
his roaming profile is stored under
\\servername\profiles\username\W2000. If he is working on a WinXP
workstation, his roaming profile is stored under
\\servername\profiles\username\WinXP.

Currently, I'm experimenting with the User Manager for Domains
(USRMGR.EXE) from Microsoft to evaluate how good this tool is for
administrating a Samba PDC. Concerning the type of roaming profiles
described above I have some problems with USRMGR.EXE:

When editing the User Properties of a Samba user account with
USRMGR.EXE, the user's roaming profile path is "hard-set" to
\\servername\profiles\username\W2000 (or
\\servername\profiles\username\WinXP, according to the workstation's OS
I run USRMGR.EXE from). So, next time the user logs in on a machine with
the other OS, for example WinXP, the roaming profile for Win2k is loaded.

Remark: This problem only occurs, when editing the User Properties of
Samba user accounts which were created using USRMGR.EXE. User accounts
which were created the UNIX way (useradd and smbpasswd) seem not to be
affected.

Any ideas how to avoid this problem, apart of not using USRMGR.EXE?

Cheers
Bernd