[Samba] Excel Read only file bug back on 3.0.23x?

Roland Hordos rolandhordos at tundraeng.com
Mon Oct 30 23:49:29 GMT 2006

Thanks Silas, I think I'll try that in the mean time, for .xls and .doc
files.  I really don't know how deep the problem goes, though -- could
two AutoCAD users overwrite each other's drafting files?!  Do you know
what level of logging is required to see this oplock behavior in action?
At level 3 I get open_file and close_normal_file with read and write =
Yes or No.

I am currently running this share with no oplocking at all (smbd.conf
entries below), when I think it's only Excel and Word docs that are
vulnerable.  This causes a lot of user activity to have to save to their
local hard drive, then move to the Share in explorer.  At least this
works consistently and I'm confident that no two users can overwrite
each other's open files directly.

Current Workaround Setup

strict locking = yes
oplocks = no