[Samba] changing default profile folders

Lluís Forns xarxa at escoltesiguies.cat
Fri Oct 20 08:06:22 GMT 2006

Hi, I am trying to make my winXP clients to access files directly on the
server (to improve speed, because some profiles are up to 5Gb); I have
followed the instructions at:
http://isg.ee.ethz.ch/tools/realmen/det/skel.en.html
to link desktop, program configuration, etc.... to the server.
First problem was I had to set the user as administrator in order to be
able to modify the registry; after this I changed everything in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
to head

%LOGONSERVER%\%USERNAME%\Windows\......
and after shutting down the server I moved in the server all the Profile
files to Windows directory; I restarted the session and it worked ok;
all remote files accessed fast and with no problem; but when I removed
administrator privileges from the user, it pointed again to the
profile/local directory so no files where loaded.

What do I need to do to make my changes in the winXP clients permament
with no need of admin privileges?

thanks a lot.

--
Lluís Forns
Tècnic Informàtic - Àrea de Comunicació (MEGSJC)
Tlf: 93-5902700 C/e: webmaster at escoltesiguies.cat
http://www.escoltesiguies.cat