[Samba] Getting "Specified network name is no longer available" on large (>100MB) files...

Joe Emenaker joe at emenaker.com
Thu Oct 5 05:07:11 GMT 2006

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this.

I'm using a Linux box in my house as a NAS, so that I can make backups, move large files, etc. The problem is that, whenever I try to move/copy a file larger than 100MB or so off of the linux machine to my Windows machine, I get "Specified network name is no longer available" on the Windows machine and the transfer aborts.

I've noticed some interesting tidbits:
1 - It's not a hard size limit. I can usually transfer 50-60MB files, and rarely succeed with 100MB ones. If I had to guess, I'd say that 50MB files will succeed about 90% of the time, 80MB files will succeed about 50% of the time, and 100MB files will succeed about 5% of the time.

2 - It's cumulative. If I try and copy two 50MB files, the second one almost never makes it, and I have to re-drag it.

3 - Here's the really weird one. I've found that I can trigger this error at any time by ssh'ing to the linux box and doing something like.. say... "unzip -l" on the file. Now, I could see how another process needing to read could freak Samba out when trying to *move* a file, but this happens even when I'm *copying* the files.

Now, I should mention, at this point, that these files I'm copying are also being shared out with ml-donkey, so they might be being read by ml-donkey at any moment.... but I still don't see why Samba should have a problem with that. Also, this isn't the whole story, anyway, since I have trouble with backing up to a shared samba folder that is *not* watched by ml-donkey (I hope. :))

4 - Transferring the files via other means (sftp, or sz/rz over ssh) has no problems at all.

5 - For what it's worth, this is over a wireless connection, but no other services experience problems from that.

Any ideas?

- Joe