[Samba] Re: WINS over subnets - something strange in the HOWTO

Hoggins! hoggins at wheres5.com
Tue Oct 3 12:16:36 GMT 2006

Edmundo Valle Neto a écrit :
> John H Terpstra escreveu:

>>> Thanks, I understand better now how it works.
>>> So the LMB (any Win machine, elected) of the 192.168.3.0/24 segment must
>>> send its browse list to the server, right ? I must check this traffic
>>> with ethereal and/or with debug level 2. Sorry I didn't yet.
>>>

>> Not quite!
>> The LMB does nothing to contact the DMB. The responsibility for browse
>> list synchronization belongs to the DMB.
>>
>> The DMB looks for the LMB registrations in the WINS (wins.dat)
>> database. It then contacts each LMB to synchronise the browse list.
>>
>> Ergo, if the WINS database does not contain all machines that are LMBs
>> - browse list synchronization will not happen.
>>
>> - John T.
>>

> John.
>
>    Look at this at:
> http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/NetworkBrowsing.html
>

> How Browsing Functions

> Instead, the DMB serves the role of contacting each LMB (found by asking
> WINS or from LMHOSTS) and exchanging browse list contents.
>
> This is what you said.
>
> But.
>

> Cross-Subnet Browsing

> As soon as N2_B has become the LMB, it looks for a DMB with which to
> synchronize its browse list. It does this by querying the WINS server
> (N2_D) for the IP address associated with the NetBIOS name
> WORKGROUP<1B>. This name was registered by the DMB (N1_C) with the WINS
> server as soon as it was started.
>
> Once N2_B knows the address of the DMB, it tells it that is the LMB for
> subnet 2 by sending a MasterAnnouncement packet as a UDP port 138
> packet. It then synchronizes with it by doing a NetServerEnum2 call.
> This tells the DMB to send it all the server names it knows about. Once
> the DMB receives the MasterAnnouncement packet, it schedules a
> synchronization request to the sender of that packet. After both
> synchronizations are complete, the browse lists look like those in
> Browse Subnet Example 2
>
> And thats the another explanation that I said.
>
> Shouldnt that last explanation be different?
>
> Regards.
>
> Edmundo Valle Neto

Wow ! looks like we have an experts battle ! Thanks a lot, guys ! All
these explanations are helpful.
That's what I understood about the LMB/DMB synchronisation.

But as you all say, it looks like my smb.conf is correct, but the client
machines don't work correctly.

My DHCP options look fine, here's what they say about NetBIOS :

         option netbios-name-servers 192.168.2.10;
         option netbios-node-type 8;

The last option (netbios-node-type) is 8 by default if not specified,
but I set it anyway.

I really don't understant where the problem is, but I'm not giving up now.

Thanks for the HOWTO pages, I had taken a look at them, but my main
reproach is that they don't give configuration directives that
correspond to what they say. I would have expected it as a HOWTO. Maybe
I don't know enough to use em.

	Hoggins!