[Samba] Re: WINS over subnets

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Oct 3 02:55:01 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 04:41 +0200, Hoggins! wrote:
> Okay, I checked on my clients, and what I see is for the most
> surprising: they only display hosts within the samba server's
> browse.dat, not even the other hosts on the same subnet (usually, I
> believe they would have been discovered through broadcast). So the only
> machines that appear on ALL the machines of all the subnets are :
> 	- the server
> 	- the XP box, located on the same subnet as the server
>
> The other hosts' names can be successfully resolved by the server
> (checked with Ethereal) when explicitly typed in the explorer bar. But
> they are not "discovered" by the network browsing.
>
> Any idea of the problem ?
>
> The local masters don't seem to be doing their job, do they ?
----
Official Samba HowTo suggests that you would need a WINS server on each
subnet

http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/NetworkBrowsing.html#id2588936

You might want to review the documentation - there is a possibility
that
'remote browse sync = broadcast_address_of_remote_subnet'
might work for you.

Craig