[Samba] Re: WINS over subnets

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Oct 3 03:30:13 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 19:55 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 04:41 +0200, Hoggins! wrote:
> > Okay, I checked on my clients, and what I see is for the most
> > surprising: they only display hosts within the samba server's
> > browse.dat, not even the other hosts on the same subnet (usually, I
> > believe they would have been discovered through broadcast). So the only
> > machines that appear on ALL the machines of all the subnets are :
> > 	- the server
> > 	- the XP box, located on the same subnet as the server
> >
> > The other hosts' names can be successfully resolved by the server
> > (checked with Ethereal) when explicitly typed in the explorer bar. But
> > they are not "discovered" by the network browsing.
> >
> > Any idea of the problem ?
> >
> > The local masters don't seem to be doing their job, do they ?
> ----
> Official Samba HowTo suggests that you would need a WINS server on each
> subnet
>
> http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/NetworkBrowsing.html#id2588936
>
> You might want to review the documentation - there is a possibility
> that
> 'remote browse sync = broadcast_address_of_remote_subnet'
> might work for you.
----
OK correction...I have it on good authority that I have given bad advice
above...

1 - only 1 WINS server
2 - remote browse sync is not what you want
3 - clients need to have proper configuration of WINS server address -
if by DHCP, then you probably need to set the node type (option 44/46)
correctly
4 - OP should check contents of wins.dat (on my RH systems, they are
located in /var/cache/samba but on others, they are in /var/lib/samba
YMMV)

Craig