[Samba] Compatability Issue?

Don Huff dnhuff at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 22:49:37 GMT 2006

I am working with a host that is running RH enterprise 4 (a 2.4 kernel) and
a desktop running Fedora Core 5 (a 2.6 kernel).

I can not get my CIFS fstab file entry to mount, yet my matching RH ent 4
laptop mounts it just fine.

The error is: mount error 1 = Operation not permitted
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
parsing options:
rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,noauto,users,username=dnh,password=dnh,uid=612,gid=612,port=5139,ip=mars

ip address mars override specified
ip address specified explicitly

The fstab entry is:
//earth/jobs /earth/jobs cifs
noauto,users,username=dnh,password=dnh,uid=dnh,gid=dnh,port=2139,ip=earth 0
0

The invoking command is: mount -v /earth/jobs

there is an ssh tunnel in place taking port localhost:2139 to the real host
earth139 and the /etc/hosts file has earth as a synonym for localhost.

do you see which operation is not permitted? or what might be going on?
perhaps there is another option that is required?

thanks,
Don Huff.